Monday 2 September 2013

The Forest Moon of Endor....

I was looking forward to this one... Forests mean trees and plants, which means again we get to experiment with using different materials for making the model.

But first the planning stage:


I love this bit... although it means I have to try and think of how all his excellent ideas can be translated in to something he can make without too much help!

In trying to get as natural a feel as possible we decided to take a trip to the local nursery to pick some plants - I was told very firmly that we had to avoid plants with flowers, as there are no flowers on Endor.   We also made a trip to some nice wooded areas to collect bark, moss and some twigs and we even managed to salvage some nice chunky bit of branch from his Grandad's garden that make excellent tree stumps.  This is how that all looked together:



(yes that's another cat litter tray)

Alpines worked really well, there's one that looks just like a miniature tree - please don't ask me what it's called I'm rubbish with plants!  There are a few herbs here too, like dill and thyme which are very leafy and make great foliage.

Time for my homework.... I was given a list of images to find and print off the internet - thank goodness for Google!  We then stuck them to card for extra strength, cut them out and then laminated them to make them a bit more resilient.
 

So I admit that my scaling for the images was a bit off :)  But I think overall it's not a bad job.
We used lolly sticks to stand the images up, with a bit of blue tack for extra support.




Again I don't think the photos do it justice, plus I'm tempted to make some sort of backdrop for this, maybe using sponge painting.  A great little project this one, where we got to look at different textures, a bit of wildlife and use some creativity. 

Next up: Tatooine 










No comments:

Post a Comment